The bed we built

Lynden and I aren’t snugglers.

We can’t fall asleep snuggling in each other’s arms. In fact, we use separate blankets on separate sides of the bed. When we go to bed there are two blankets on top of each other…in the morning we always have one blanket each – it somehow always ends up that way.

In the early days of our marriage we both thought the other person was taking up more than their half of the bed and we’d wake up throughout the night without enough space. And this is in a queen size bed! Yes, yes, first world problems…

Anyway, my mum and dad had a one-year-old king size mattress that they were needing to get rid of, because they’d just bought a new mattress to cater for my mum’s back problems. I scooped up the opportunity to get a bigger bed and quickly told Lynden the great news. Finally, we would both have an undisturbed, good nights sleep. However, we were only getting the mattress so we needed to start looking for king size frames.

I can tell you one thing, everything’s more expensive in king size!!

Sooo, with the cheapest option for a king bed frame looking to be around $1000+ for something we didn’t even like, we came up with the crazy idea of making our own frame.

Lynden, who is a whiz on Sketchup, quickly began drawing up some ideas. Meanwhile, I searched for bed designs that we liked online. We put our ideas together to create a design that we both liked and thought we could pull off.

Here are some of our final designs:

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 2.25.31 PM

After we figured out the design we were going to move forward with, Lynden digitally broke up the bed into parts and we started putting measurements on it to figure out exactly what pieces of timber we would need.

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 2.26.28 PM

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 2.26.36 PM

At some point soon after this design process, our mattress arrived. Lynden didn’t want it sitting on the floor, so he built the slats that would go inside the bed and we propped the mattress up onto that. Essentially we’ve been sleeping with our mattress on the floor (on slats) for a year now!

We started the construction phase in Jan/Feb, putting together the bed head.


Then, after getting frustrated with the process, we moved the construction out from our dining room and into the garage. Out of sight, out of mind.

It was left unattended until around June when Lynden did some little bits and pieces, but after getting frustrated again, it was pushed to the back burner again.

Finally, at the end of November we decided to finish it once and for all.

This is the bed put together before we sanded and varnished it.



After the first sand and varnish:12Nov_30_9965

Varnish completed and semi constructed:

Some details:12Dec_02_9983


Lynden even put small charger slots in :)12Dec_02_9997


We were super excited to be finished!
12Dec_02_9990Lynden’s parents came to see it (since they live just next door :) and I had to get a picture of them with our new bed.


And we had an impromptu barbecue with friends which, of course, led to a picture of us all with the bed. You almost can’t even see it here, hehe.


And a picture I took of the bed this morning with all the bedding on it…finished.

Can you tell we’re really proud of our new bed? Yes, it took us a year to make. Yes, we probably got high on the smell of varnish while we slept last night. And yes, it’s just a bed. But we love the end result of a project, and even though you could find a few errors when you look closely, we still managed to get a bed frame in the style we wanted without the crazy price tag.

And a nice sense of achievement. I love it :)

Tagged , , ,

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: